Craving something sweet? We’re sharing 3 healthy dessert recipes made to conquer your sweet tooth.
We’ve all heard it before. Eating healthy is boring and has no flavour. We’re here to prove you wrong with three simple, health(ier) and flavourful dessert recipes. Healthy dessert recipes exist, and they’re DELICIOUS. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring, even when it comes to dessert!
Black Bean Brownies
With the help of a few key ingredient swaps (like whole wheat flour for white flour and applesauce for sugar), you’ll feel even better reaching for seconds of these delicious Black Bean Brownies. Because let’s be honest, one is never enough when it comes to dessert.
- 15 Ounces Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Applesauce
- 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (mini, divided)
- Secret Ingredient #1: 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- Secret Ingredient #2: 1 Tablespoon Ground Coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Zest 1 orange.
- Place black beans in a food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, applesauce, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and ground coffee. Process until smooth. Add ¼ cup chocolate chips, and pulse a few times until chocolate is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30–35 minutes, or until edges start to pull away from sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.
Lemon Avocado Tartlets
The no-bake, mini tart has arrived. It’s called a tartlet, and it comes together with the help of some of the usual baking suspects (coconut, almonds, dates, lemon, honey) and one unexpected but very welcome guest: avocados! You won’t be able to resist these fresh and flavourful little bites.
For the crust:
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Dates (12-15)
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
For the filling:
- 2 Large Avocados
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- Blackberries and Cranberries (for topping)
- Blend all crust ingredients in a food processor until a sticky paste forms. Press an even layer of the paste into the bottom of lined muffin tin. Place in freezer to set.
- Blend all filling ingredients in a food processor until creamy.
- Spoon filling into each muffin slot and place back in the freezer for another 3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and let sit for about 15 minutes. Top with berries before serving.
Berry Loaded Nice Cream
We know, sometimes you need a big bowl of ice cream, loaded with different toppings. We support you, but we’re also excited to fill you in on nice cream: a super healthy, banana-based alternative that comes with all the sweet and yummy you crave without any of the cavities — and we’ve got a super simple recipe to prove it. The ultimate healthy dessert, because it can be made almost entirely with fruit!
- 2 frozen bananas, cut into small rounds
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp frozen berries
- 2 tbsp berries (blueberries and raspberries), fresh or slightly defrosted if frozen
- 1/2 sliced banana
- Shredded coconut flakes
- Mint leaves
- Use a blender to combine frozen bananas, almond milk, and frozen berries until thick and smooth.
- Load on the berries, sliced bananas, coconut flakes, mint leaves and dig in!