At home workouts were always a great idea, but now that we’re all in quarantine they’re definitely trending. I love seeing how creative people can be at coming up with ways to move with no equipment at home.
If you live in an apartment with downstairs neighbours, there are restrictions on what workouts you can get away with and still keep the peace in your home/building. Fortunately, you can still get a great energy and mental focus boost from your workouts without jumping.
I’ve combined some apartment-friendly moves in a HITT workout to help you break a sweat and boost your energy at home, without complaints from the neighbours.
The Workout (4 x 4)
Each exercise is to be done as fast as possible for one minute. Take one minute rest before moving on to the next exercise. Perform the series four times total.
1. Pulse Squats
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, and stack your shoulders over your hips. Deeply bend both knees, shift hips back and squat down until thighs are parallel with the floor.
- Rise up halfway, then bend your knees again and move down to lowest point of the squat.
- Only come halfway up in the squat. Repeat for as many reps as possible in the minute.
2. Lunge Pulses
- Place your right foot forward and left foot back (feet should be about 2 feet apart) in lunge position. Bend your right knee and Lower down until your left knee hovers over the floor.
- Keep most of your weight in your front foot. Lift halfway up and lower right back down.
- Stay low and repeat the movement for as many reps as possible within 30 seconds, only coming halfway up in the lunge.
- After 30 seconds, switch to the other side with your left foot forward.
3. Hip Raises
- Lie on your back and place your feet hip-width apart with your knees bent toward the ceiling and hands by your side. Engage your glutes and lift your hips up. At the highest point, your knees will be in line with your hips.
- Lower hips down halfway, and then press them right back up to the highest point.
- Complete the bridge pulses for 1 minute.
4. Mountain Climbers
- Come into a plank position with arms straight. Place your hands under your shoulders and your feet hip-width apart. Draw your shoulder blades down and back, pushing the floor away with your hands to engage your upper back muscles and create one long line from head to heels.
- Remain in the plank position. Lift your right leg and bend your right knee in toward your chest. Quickly switch legs, driving left knee into center line.
- Alternate as fast as possible for 1 minute. Breathe with your movements as you go.
This HITT series is meant to make you sweat in a short and effective workout. If you’re not used to this type of workout, start with longer periods of rest in between exercises.
Enjoy this jump-free HITT Class! And remember, while you’re working out at home, it’s a good idea to alternate between high-intensity and low-intensity workouts each day. On your lower intensity days turn to activities like yoga or pilates which are challenging in a different way.