Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Everyone’s favourite bacon cheese burger just got better. This recipe uses wild blueberries for a hint of sweetness that pairs well with sophisticated brie on this burger. This might just be your new favourite BBQ summer meal.
- four patties beef burger
- four brioche buns
- four oz brie cheese, thinly sliced
- eight slices bacon
- one cup arugula
- four tsp mayonnaise
- half cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- two tsp coconut sugar
- half tsp flour or cornstarch
- half tsp cinnamon
- one Tbsp water
- pinch sea salt
- To start, make the blueberry compote. In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the blueberries, coconut sugar, flour, cinnamon, water and salt. Bring to a bubble then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes, until berries are soft and begin to disintegrate. If you find the mixture too dry add a splash of water. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens slightly, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Cook the bacon. Add bacon slices to a cold skillet, transfer skillet to the stovetop on medium-high heat and cook for 8-12 minutes, turning the strips, until desired crispiness. Once cooked, remove the bacon from the skillet and place on a plate with a paper towel.
- While the bacon is cooking, preheat a grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat, grease with a high-heat oil and season burger patties on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add burger patties to the grill and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes until nicely browned on the first side. Flip burgers and continue cooking for a few minutes more until they’re cooked through. Note: Add the buns to the grill when the burgers are almost done cooking, and toast until golden and crispy.
- To build the burgers, add 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise to the bottom bun. Layer the bun with arugula, burger patty, 1oz of brie cheese, a dollop of blueberry compote, 2 slices of bacon and top with burger bun.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!