Here’s a twist on the traditional Banh Mi sandwich. We’ve taken the ingredients and turned them into a flavourful and delicious rice bowl that we’re confident you’ll love. This rice bowl makes a quick and healthy meal with lots of flavour from spicy mayo, and pickled veggies. Enjoy this Vietnamese-inspired beef bowl as a fun weeknight treat.
- 250 g Ground Beef
- ¾ cup Jasmine Rice
- 66 g Mini Cucumber
- 56 g Carrot, julienned
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Hoisin-Soy Sauce Blend
- 7 g Cilantro
- ½ tbsp Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Before you begin make sure all produce is cleaned and dry.
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a covered medium pot.
- While the water boils, roughly chop the cilantro. Slice the cucumber into thin rounds. Combine the mayo and sriracha in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the water boils, add the rice. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (12-14 min).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tbsp sugar. Add the cucumber and carrots and toss to coat. Set aside in the fridge.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil (or other high-heat cooking oil). Then add the beef. Cook, breaking up beef into smaller pieces, until no pink remains (4-5 min).
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked beef to a plate and discard the extra fat.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the hoisin-soy sauce blend and half the sesame seeds to the pan with the beef. Cook, stirring often until beef is coated (1-2 min).
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and season with salt. Drain the liquid from the pickled veggies. Divide the rice between plates. Top with the beef, pickled veggies and cilantro. Add the spicy mayo to your liking. Enjoy!